Most prophetic voices have continue to echo and share about the great upcoming move of God. The recently celebrated Pentecost is said to be a unique one, one that will usher this great move of God. The Person behind this ushering and who will be the catalyst for this move is the Holy Spirit. However, not many believers know this Great Powerful member of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit. This blog is an introduction to the Holy Spirit, Who He is and who He is not. I will share His attributes and works in the Old Testament. The next teaching and blog will be on how we can partner with the Holy Spirit in this new move.
The purpose of salvation or being born again is not only to go to heaven to enjoy intimate communion and relationship with God while we are still here on earth. The whole purpose of salvation was to be reconciled in relationship and sonship with God. God created humans for interaction. We see this in His fellowship with Adam and Eve before they sinned. Later on God continued with Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses all of whom are recorded as people who walked with God. When sin abound so much, God sent His Son Jesus Christ whose through the sacrifice on the Cross, we were reconciled to fellowship with God. The redemption and restoration in fellowship was done through the blood of Jesus Christ and remains active through the person of the Holy Spirit (see Ephesians 1:4-7, Hebrews 9: 12-15, 2 Corinthians 5:19, and Romans 8:16).
As shared, God desires to dwell and commune with us. This omnipresence aspect of God now is with us through the Person of the Holy Spirit. Initially God communed with humans, after the fall He sent His own Son to dwell with us as Immanuel, God with us. When Jesus ascended to heaven, He promised that He will not leave us as orphans but send us a helper who would guide us in all things, this helper is the Holy Spirit (John 14:18). So we see the continual fellowship with God with the Trinity.
Much has been said about the coming move of God which most of us are waiting for with great anticipation. He is part of the Godhead- the Trinity. God the Father (Jehovah) God the Son (Jesus Christ) and God the Holy Spirit (The Holy Spirit). The Holy Spirit is a Person not an it. He has a personality, mind and emotions . The Holy Spirit is the Breathe of God. He was active at creation, we see that in Genesis Chapter 1, He was hovering around. God operates through the Person of the Holy Spirit- the Holy Spirit is the Administrator or Chief Operating Officer (CEO) in Gods Kingdom. 2 Timothy 3;16 says that all Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness- thus the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible- the writers were guided or under the influence of the Holy Spirit when it wa written. So whenever you read the Bible and need clarification of, ask the Author, the Holy Spirit and He will explain it. In the Old Testament the Holy Spirit often rested on a person to accomplish a specific task- you read frequently that: the Spirit came upon them and they did something. Examples of the of works of the Holy in the Old Testament1 are:
The Holy Spirit participated in creation- Genesis 1:2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
The Holy Spirt gave life to creatures and earth Psalm 104:30-Lord when you send forth your Spirit they are created, and you renew the face of the ground.
The Holy Spirit breathed life in humans Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
The Holy Spirit was recognized by Humans Genesis 41:38 And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?”
The Holy Spirit strived with humans to convince them to repent and turn to God Genesis 6,3 And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years. This when sons of God also known as Angels; intermingled with daughters on earth.
The Holy Spirit Gave extraordinary power to leaders and people; Joshua in Numbers 27:18, Othniel Judges 3:9-10 Othniel the son of Kenan, Caleb’s younger brother. The Spirit of the Lord was upon him, and he judged Israel. He went out to war, and the Lord gave king of Mesopotamia into his hand. Gideon in Judges 6:34, Samson Judges 14:5-6, Saul in 1 Samuel- 10.9-13
The Holy Spirit Departed from Saul when He disobeyed God- 1 Samuel 16:14-But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and a distressing spirit from the Lord troubled him.
The Holy Spirit inspired King David- 2 Samuel 23:2“The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, And His word was on my tongue.
The Holy Spirit Guided the prophets Ezekiel 2;2 And He said to me, “Son of man, stand on your feet, and I will speak to you. Then the Spirit entered me when He spoke to me and set me on my feet; and I heard Him who spoke to me.
The Holy Spirit inspired to do God’s will and walk in holiness Psalm 143:10 Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness.
The Holy Spirit encouraged walk in Gods’ commandments and morality- Ezekiel 36:27- I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.
The Holy Spirit prophesied about the coming of Jesus Christ and the nature of His ministry, see Isaiah 11:1-11 and the whole chapter of Isaiah 61
(Source -Works of the Holy in the Old Testament- www.thomasnelsonbibles.com/the-holy-spirit-in-the-old-testament)
Who the Holy Spirit is not?
I am deeply concerned about the misuse of the Trinity and citing things that do not align with God’s character. I am careful not to say God said or the Holy Spirit said something. If you have grown up in church especially in Pentecostal or charismatic movements, you may have experience manifestations that were cited as the Holy Spirit, but they were not. Below is a list but not an comprehensive list of what the Holy Spirit is not:
- The Holy Spirit is not a feeling or emotion that can be turned on and off
- You either have the Holy Spirit or you do not because you cannot make Him up
- He is not a manifestation such as loud shouting, yelling, disruptive rolling on floors, or running around wild
- He never draws attention to Himself or to the person He is working through, the Holy Spirit always will turn the attention to God and glorify Him
- The Holy Spirit will not do anything outside the Character of God, remember He is God -The Trinity
- The Holy Spirit is patient and works when permitted, He does not impose Himself on us
- He is not a manifestation, He is God. The manifestations are effects of His presence and works
- Moving in a gift does not necessarily mean you have the Holy Spirit with you- Gifts can still function without a relationship with the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is the Anointing, the anointing can depart from a person and the person can still operate in the gift or calling because the gifts and callings of God are irrevocable, Romans 11:29
- When one has disconnected with the Holy Spirit, the gifts may still work, the person though may not attain His full potential in His /her purpose of assignment
- Disconnecting from the Holy Spirit may also result in the person being defiled by an evil spirit that may try to work through the gifts of a person- that is why people can still perform miracles but under the influence of another spirit.
This blog is a transcript of video blog that you can find on my Facebook page or YouTube channel. In it, I shared an assignment that I would like to share with the readers too. As we anticipate next week,
- Review the works of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament, identify if there are similarities with your current walk with the Holy Spirit.
- Read the book of John and the Book of Acts and pay attention and identify the work of the Holy Spirit in the Scriptures
- Review how He works in you based on what you read
- Reflect on any areas that you need to submit to the Holy Spirit
- Ask God to illuminate areas that need to submit to the Holy Spirit in your life
- Repent of any areas you have grieved, misunderstood, and disobeyed Him ask God for forgiveness
- Submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and the leadership of the Holy Spirit
- Ask God to baptize you afresh with the Holy Spirit and with Fire